What does it take to be a successful sugar daddy? Contrary to what you might expect, it’s not all about whether you have a private jet or access to a country club. Instead, being a good sugar provider is a state of mind. And, you can hack into some of the key characteristics that will make you the ideal partner for your sugar arrangement.
Let’s talk about how to be a successful sugar daddy, no matter your income level!
1: A successful sugar daddy is proactive about what they want
Before you take on a sugar baby, you owe it to your future partner to get clear about what you want. Having clear boundaries and expectations will prevent any feelings of discomfort or disappointment between the two of you.
As you sit down to make your online profile, really think about what you’re looking for in a sugar baby. What specific things will make you feel satisfied in the relationship? This can be as grandiose as wanting someone who is a good travel partner or as low-stakes as wanting a partner who will send you messages asking about your day.
At first, it can feel strange to share these desires with a stranger, but the truth is, sugar babies prefer going into an arrangement with as much information as possible.
2: They always use respectful language
As you start to chat with potential partners online, you’ll always want to keep your language respectful and friendly. Just like you would start a conversation politely in real life, don’t barge into someone’s inbox with your demands and expectations. That is off-putting and scammy.
Instead, start chatting respectfully. This will require some patience and thoughtfulness. And it can be difficult not to take shortcuts when you’re trying to juggle multiple chats at a time. But putting as much effort as you can into each conversation will lay a good foundation for a successful arrangement.
3: They are generous with their resources
Remember when we said that you don’t have to have a private jet to be a sugar daddy? That’s absolutely true. There are sugar daddies of all income levels who can make their sugar babies very happy.
One thing that you do need to be a successful sugar daddy? Generosity.
Whatever resources you have at your disposal, you should be ready to share them with your sugar baby. This could be as lavish as extravagant gifts and trips around the world. Or, it could be more humble. Some sugar babies will be content with a nice date night at one of the finer restaurants in town.
Remember, that earning seven figures doesn’t matter to a sugar baby if her partner isn’t willing to share it. So, your actual income level doesn’t matter as much as how you use it to pamper your partner.
4: Successful sugar daddies are honest
We mentioned already that it’s important to convey to your sugar baby what you really want in an arrangement. And that honesty and openness should carry through into the relationship.
If you think you’re going to be late for a date, for instance, the respectful thing to do is let your sugar baby know ahead of time. Or, if you’re not happy with something that they’re doing in the arrangement, it’s important to get your thoughts out into the open.
These conversations can sometimes be difficult to have. But by hiding your feelings, not following through on promises, or actively lying to protect yourself, you’re likely to miss out on a happy, steady arrangement.
5: They are positive and open-minded
There’s nothing that makes a sugar baby more on edge than a partner who is negative, controlling, or jaded. These types of sugar daddies definitely exist, and unfortunately, they give a bad name to sugaring in general.
Here are a few bad habits that you’ll want to avoid in order to become a successful sugar daddy:
- Assuming the worst from your sugar baby. Maybe your sugar baby is a few minutes late to your date. Your first reaction might be annoyance that they would be so flippant with your time. In reality, they might have had an emergency or gotten stuck in traffic. In other words, it’s best not to assume the worst before you have the whole picture.
- Holding your sugar baby to standards that don’t apply to you. Sugar babies tend to be independent, hard-working people with lives and preferences of their own. So, holding them to impossible standards like being available at the drop of a hat or doing everything that you want them to do is unrealistic and unfair. Sugaring is a two-way street, and one of your goals with your sugar baby is to find a balance between giving and taking.
- Judging your partner, especially before you’ve gotten to know them. Unfortunately, there are many sugar daddies who believe they have their potential partner all figured out before they’ve even sat down for their first date. This is a huge mistake! Not only does it take all the fun out of getting to know someone, but it can also blind you to all of the positive things about this person. Keep an open mind and let yourself stay curious. Your sugar baby will surprise you if you learn to put your assumptions to rest.
Maybe you’re an inherently skeptical person because of your job or past relationships. But by focusing more on the negative, you could be setting yourself up for failure. Successful sugar daddies are able to find and enjoy the good in their arrangements.
6: They don’t take themselves too seriously
You may be accustomed to demanding respect when you walk into a room and make decisions that affect people’s lives. But one of the real benefits of being a sugar daddy is to press pause on all of that and enjoy yourself.
To be sure, your sugar baby will expect you to be the one to select a bottle of wine and pick up the tab at the end of the night. But, they’re not going to want to spend the whole evening with someone who considers themselves superior or has a short fuse. So, if your sugar baby teases you about something or something about the date doesn’t go exactly how you pictured it, learn to laugh it off. A successful sugar daddy is confident enough to roll with the punches and treat their date to an enjoyable evening. Loosen up, and your sugar baby will also feel more at ease.
7: But they also care enough to show up in style
Now, when we say don’t take yourself too seriously, we don’t mean that you should show up in workout gear and be overly casual with your date.
A successful sugar daddy always shows up ready to impress. Even if your personal style is more Tech Bro than Wall Street, your first date with a sugar baby should include an outfit that speaks to your seriousness. After all, your date is going to come dressed to the nines. And, you can make them feel appreciated and comfortable by dressing nicely yourself.
Remember that sugaring is a way to move beyond traditional dating dynamics. If you wanted someone that you could curl up in sweatpants on the couch with, you probably wouldn’t be looking for a sugar baby. Instead, you want someone who can keep your life exciting and new. So, take some time to get ready for an unforgettable experience.
8: Good sugar partners take the time to learn about what their sugar baby is like
In contrast to what you might have heard about sugar babies, they’re not just there to take your money and keep you happy. They are people with their own sense of humor, preferences, stories, and wisdom. You’ll get so much more out of the sugaring experience if you take the time to get to know them.
The other benefit? You’ll learn key information about them that can make you a better sugar daddy. Here are a few examples:
- Learning their favorite cocktail. One of the first great things you can learn about your sugar baby is their drink of choice. On all future dates, you’ll make them feel instantly cared for by ordering their drink for them. Remember, of course, that some people like to try something new every time. So, it’s also a good idea to say something like, “The usual?” before assuming that they’re going to order their go-to every time.
- Asking them about what they do to relax. Most people that you’ll meet in the sugaring world have some kind of hobby or activity they do to relax. Maybe they jog, do yoga, shop, or paint to wind down. Knowing about that will not only deepen your understanding of them, but it’s also a fantastic way to buy them gifts that they’ll actually love. If, for instance, they’ve shared with you that they enjoy massages, you might book them one at a high-end spa.
- Learning about their pets.. Whether they have a cat, dog, rabbit, or something else, a sugar baby will appreciate anyone showing an interest in their furry friend. Not only will you win them over by asking about their beloved pet, but again, it can help you be a better partner. If, for instance, you’re planning on whisking them away for a romantic weekend out of town, you’ll want to make sure to cover the cost of pet care.
All of that being said, keep in mind that some sugar babies like to maintain a clear boundary between their dating life and their personal life. And if they’re unwilling to tell you much about themselves, that’s okay. The more they trust you, the more they’ll feel comfortable sharing with you over time. In the meantime, you will still learn some things about them, even if it’s limited to things that are less intimate, such as their favorite foods, date ideas, or movies.
9: They maintain reliable contact with their sugar babies
Sugar babies tend to be quite used to dealing with high-powered, busy partners. So, they’re not going to be offended if you don’t talk to them much between dates.
But, there is a baseline that you should stick to in order to keep your arrangement running smoothly. If you agreed to see your sugar baby every two weeks, for example, you should reach out to them a few days in advance to make sure they’re still available and provide the details of the date.
It’s also a good idea to send a follow-up thank you text the day after your date. This will let your partner know that you had a good time and look forward to seeing them again.
Keep in mind that communication that goes beyond the baseline can turn into a gray area. Some sugar babies consider extra communication to be a tangible benefit, one that should be discussed in the terms of the agreement. If you want flirty banter and other kinds of texts, talk to your sugar baby about what they’re comfortable with.
10: They learn to let go when the time is right
Being a successful sugar daddy doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to be with one partner for the rest of your life. In fact, many people are drawn to this lifestyle because it allows them to enjoy a range of different romantic experiences.
So, you certainly shouldn’t feel bad about ending an arrangement, as long as you do it the right way. Unless a quick termination is needed, you should always give your sugar baby notice and follow through on any promises that you might have made before deciding to call it quits.
Ending on good terms will allow you and your sugar baby to jump right back into the dating pool. Remember to reflect on what you enjoyed about the arrangement and what you would change, so that your next relationship is even better!
Still not sure how to be a successful sugar daddy?
Don’t worry, you already know more than you give yourself credit for! Being a sugar daddy isn’t some wildly foreign concept. As long as you can be a generous person, respect your partner, and stay open-minded, you’ll be a successful sugar daddy!