Successful sugar babies come from all backgrounds. You can find them all over the world, on different career paths, with unique goals and hobbies. Some are pet people, others are fashionable trendsetters. There are even a few social media influencers who have relationships. In fact, you might be friends with a sugar baby in your life without even knowing it!
But given that there are so many ways to sugar, how can you learn how to be a successful sugar baby yourself? What do these individuals all have in common that makes their arrangements so great? In this article, we’re going to boil down the 10 must-have characteristics of sugar babies who are making this lifestyle work for them. With these habits, you can create the best arrangement for you, too!
1: Successful sugar babies are self-assured
One of the most important characteristics a sugar baby can have is self-assurance. They know what they want and they aren’t afraid of the backlash they might receive for going after it.
To become more self-assured, the first thing you’ll need to do is figure out what you want. Don’t judge yourself at this step! Whether you want access to influential people in your field, help with your education, or simply a taste of the finer things in life, your desires are valid. Don’t apologize for them, because there are plenty of other sugar babies who are happy to swoop in and take your spot.
Secondly, you’ll want to get clear about your assets. What are the best things about yourself? Is it your magnetic personality? Looks? Ability to connect emotionally with someone? These are all reasons why you’ll make a great sugar baby. If you’re struggling with this step, ask a friend to hype you up! Sometimes our close loved ones have an easier time pointing out our best assets to us.
With these two things in mind, you’ll have both the awareness and confidence to be a self-assured sugar baby.
2: They know the importance of a striking profile
After you’ve done the necessary self-reflection to know what you want from an arrangement and what you can offer, you’re ready to make your profile. Successful sugar babies know just how important this step is, so they take the time to make their profile stand out.
We have an entire article dedicated to making a stellar sugar baby profile, but here are some key components:
- A captivating profile picture. One of the missteps that new sugar babies make is to go overly suggestive in their profile picture. Instead, choose one that shows your face, preferably smiling, to give your profile a softer, authentic edge. It should be a high-quality picture with good lighting, but not so perfect that it looks like a stock image.
- A quippy tagline. Taglines can be the make-or-break thing that invites a sugar daddy to click on your profile. But, if you’re not a natural writer, don’t overthink it. Write something honest and to the point, such as, “25yr old sugar baby in my party phase, looking for fun” or “I like beaches and sugar daddies who can take me there.”
- A balanced bio. In your bio, you can get more specific about what you’re looking for. But make sure to strike the right balance between detailed and intriguing. You want to give a good idea of what you want without coming across as picky.
- Keywords to attract the right partner. Successful sugar babies are kind of like SEO (search engine optimization) experts! Don’t worry if you don’t know what that means. The basic idea is that they know how to use key phrases like, “FWB,” “willing to travel” and “lavish gifts,” to catch the eye of their perfect partner. That way, they can spend less time searching and more time enjoying their arrangement.
3: Making conversation is easy and fun for them
Sugar babies are outgoing and easy to talk to. They make their sugar daddies feel comfortable around them by maintaining an atmosphere of openness and non-judgment. And, they ask the right questions to keep the conversation flowing.
If this doesn’t describe you, it doesn’t mean that you’re not set out to be a successful sugar baby. You’ll just need to put a little bit more effort into your conversation skills. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Take the pressure off. Often, new sugar babies find talking to potential partners difficult because they’re nervous. Remember that the stakes are low! If you don’t vibe with a sugar daddy, there are plenty more that you may have better chemistry with.
- Learn how to listen better. One of the best ways to encourage your sugar daddy to talk is to show that you can be a good listener. Make eye contact, use your body language to convey empathy, and remember details so that you don’t get lost in their story.
- Ask follow-up questions. Getting into a habit of asking more questions instead of offering advice or sharing your own stories can make your partner feel heard. There should be, of course, space for you to share your thoughts and opinions, too! But, if you really want to encourage your date to open up, curiosity is a simple and effective trick.
- Practice, practice, practice. The truth is, the more you practice, the more confidence you’ll have in your conversation skills. Relax, listen, stay curious, and let the conversation flow!
4: Scammers are no match for successful sugar babies
Unfortunately, there are a few different ways that sugar babies can get scammed. Maybe they invest time into a sugar daddy who doesn’t have the resources they claimed. Maybe they’ve been waiting for a sugar daddy to stop being so stingy with their resources. Or, maybe they’ve come across a full-blown internet scammer who tries to trick them into sharing their bank info.
The longer you’ve been part of the sugaring community, the easier it will be to spot scammers and stop them in their tracks. Even as a newbie sugar baby, don’t hesitate to listen to your gut! If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
5: They always show up in style
Successful sugar babies know how to take their date’s breath away at first sight. This unforgettable first impression will start the date off on a good note and show that the sugar baby takes their arrangements seriously.
Here’s how you do it:
- Set aside more time getting ready than you think. You do not want to rush through getting ready for your meet & greet with a potential partner. It will mean that you don’t have enough time to look your best and that you’ll show up feeling (and looking) frazzled.
- Consider the setting of the date. You’re going to want to dress differently for an outdoor polo game than a gourmet dinner, so plan accordingly. For daytime dates, consider more natural-looking makeup. For evening outings, you can go for a more dramatic look that will make your eyes pop in soft lighting.
- Dress to impress. Successful sugar babies know that landing the right partner can take a little bit of investment. So, you may need to buy a new outfit for a date if you don’t have anything appropriate.
- Show up on time. Showing up in style means showing up on time. Sugar daddies tend to be hyper-aware of punctuality, so make a good first impression by valuing their time.
- Arrive with your first gift: a genuine smile. There’s nothing that lights up a room like a warm smile. And, even though you might be tempted to play cool or coy, flashing a smile is actually a huge power move. It shows that you’re confident and happy to be there. Your sugar daddy will respond in kind.
6: They’re not interested in playing games
If you want to know how to be a successful sugar baby, the first thing you’ll want to do is unlearn everything you’ve learned from dating games. Everything from not sending the first text to playing hard to get is irrelevant in sugaring.
Consider the two following messages to get a good understanding of the difference.
This is a text someone might send after a traditional date,
“Hey, I had a good time the other night. If you’re around this weekend, let me know. I have a few things going on but maybe we could grab a quick drink.”
This is a text a sugar baby might send after a date,
“Hey, it was so wonderful to finally meet you in person. I can’t wait for our next date. My fingers are crossed that it’s somewhere downtown so that I can wear the new shoes I just bought (you’re going to love them.)”
As you can see, the traditional dater holds their cards close to their chest to protect themself from rejection. In sugaring, though, all the cards are on the table. A sugar baby isn’t afraid to say what’s on their mind and show enthusiasm for the relationship.
7: They aren’t afraid of their own feelings
There’s a misconception that sugaring is devoid of feeling or emotional connection. That’s not the case at all! In fact, sugar babies have to be more in tune with their emotions than people who aren’t in the community.
For one thing, their gut feeling allows them to decide whether or not to trust a certain sugar daddy. And, the most successful sugar babies are hyper-aware of their emotional attachments to their partners. If they start to develop romantic feelings in an FWB relationship, they know that it might be time to renegotiate or end the arrangement. From experience, they know that it’s better to be aware and act on feelings rather than bottle them up.
8: They take risks
Sugar babies are some of the bravest people you’ll ever meet. They’re not afraid to forge ahead on a path that society doesn’t quite understand. And, they know how to stick up for what they want in a sugar arrangement.
They also take risks every time they renegotiate their arrangement with a partner. If you’re someone who wants to get better at rising in the ranks of your job or being more confident, you’ll certainly strengthen these skills as a sugar baby. And, more often than not, if your sugar daddy is happy, the risk of asking for more pays off.
9: But they have a long-term strategy, too
Successful sugar babies know how to take risks, but that doesn’t mean they throw caution to the wind. They know how to keep themselves in a good position by:
- Not relying entirely on one sugar daddy. There are some real advantages to having more than one partner at a time. While it is more work, it can make your sugaring lifestyle more reliable.
- Having goals and working towards them. Sugar daddies may come and go, so it’s a good idea to have your sights set on your own future goals. Eventually, you may even become a sugar daddy, yourself!
- Maintaining their life separately from sugaring. By maintaining a level of independence and healthy boundaries, you’ll find it easier to roll with the ebbs and flows that come with sugaring.
10: They know when to cut their losses
Experienced sugar babies know that even when you do everything right, some arrangements just don’t work out. Instead of languishing in an unsatisfying relationship, don’t be afraid to start over! There are sugar daddies out there who are dying at the chance to pamper you in the way that you deserve!
When you do end an arrangement, use it as a learning experience. What can you do differently moving forward? Were there red flags that you ignored? How can you set yourself up for success in your next relationship?
You’re a successful sugar baby in the making!
No matter if you have some experience in sugaring or are brand new to the community, success is yours for the taking. Because while these tips can help you elevate your game, learning how to be a successful sugar baby comes with practice!