You’ve heard the buzz about arrangement dating and it’s left you wondering: what are these dating sites really like? What can you expect from signing up for one? Are there risks to watch out for? And how can you make sure that your profile is successful in attracting the attention of potential partners?
Let’s take a look at 6 insights about arrangement dating platforms that will tell you what they’re really like:
1: Different dating sites specialize in different kinds of sugaring
Once you’ve decided that you want to try sugaring, you’re immediately confronted with a big question: what arrangement dating site will you use? Luckily, there’s a way to make the search easier. All you have to do is think about what kind of sugaring is most appealing to you and then choose the dating platform that specializes in that area. Here’s a brief rundown:
- Casual hookups. If you’re looking for No-Strings-Attached and Friends-with-Benefits arrangements, there are a few sites that offer more casual arrangements. Some are infamous for discreet hookups that may appeal to those in a current relationship, while others are known to be all about the flings for those looking for something casual.
- International sugaring. Whether you travel often for work or want to be whisked away on romantic trips abroad, some sites are more geared towards an international audience.
- Most versatile. Maybe you’re not sure exactly what kind of sugar relationship you want but are open to trying out a few different kinds. In that case, you’ll want an arrangement dating platform that offers a large active user base and great security. Sugardaddy.com is a great example of a site where all kinds of sugar daddies and sugar babies can find their best match.
2: Daddies almost always have to pay some sort of membership fee
Arrangement dating websites typically come with some kind of payment structure. This might look like a membership subscription or payment package that comes with certain features like messaging or full access to profiles on the site. In general, sugar daddies are the ones who pay for these features and sugar babies are granted more free access.
For anyone accustomed to dating on traditional apps, paying a membership fee might feel inconvenient. But, trust us, it’s in everyone’s best interest. Membership fees help to weed out scammers and salt daddies (a.k.a. people who aren’t actually able or willing to share their wealth with a partner.) It also incentivizes sugar babies to be more active on the site while keeping their profiles secure from non-paying members.
If you’re not sure whether you’re ready to commit to a specific dating site, you may be able to enjoy a trial period. That way, you can decide whether a particular site is worth investing in.
3: Your profile really does matter
It may seem pretty basic, but the truth is, you’ll never really know what an arrangement dating site can offer you unless you put some effort into your profile. Unfinished profiles, spelling errors, and a lack of high-quality photos can all negatively affect your success on a sugaring platform. So, you’ll want to spend some time getting it right, just like you would with a resume. Here are a few ways that you can ensure that your profile makes a potential partner do a double-take:
- Use captivating, genuine photos. Your photos will be the first thing that a potential partner sees, so it makes this first impression count! Only upload clear photos that are true to who you are as a person and sugar partner. And remember that photos with a genuine smile are universally appealing!
- Think about a few keywords to stand out. You might only think about keywords in the context of marketing. But hey, you are kind of marketing yourself, here. So, think about a few key phrases that align with what you’re looking for. Want a sugar daddy who will take you on international trips, for example? Include, “travel lover,” in your bio. Looking for a sugar baby who wants a monogamous arrangement? Make sure to include the word “exclusive.”
- Look over your writing (or better yet, have someone else edit it). One thing that might surprise you about arrangement dating is that your writing can actually make or break someone’s first impression of you. Consider, for instance, that a high-powered sugar daddy wants someone they can invite to business mixers with their colleagues. They probably won’t want someone who hasn’t put much care into their bio. Likewise, a sugar baby might be turned off by a profile that doesn’t include enough personal information. So, put some time into your writing and then edit, edit, edit.
- Have some fun with it. Humor is a major asset in a sugaring profile. It lets the person on the other side know that you’re real and that spending time with you will be fun. That being said, keep it within reason. Humor that is self-deprecating, dark, or too over-the-top can also be off-putting.
4: Active = successful when it comes to arrangement dating
Another thing that tends to surprise those who are new to the online world of arrangement dating is just how active it is. Connections are being made all the time, which means if you’re not active yourself, you might be missing out on potential partners.
So, if you’re serious about finding a sugar daddy or sugar baby, you’ll want to set aside some time to be online. Here are a few ways that you can make the platform work for you:
- Set aside time daily or every couple of days. Some people choose to catch up with their online dating between meetings or when they’re waiting for their coffee order. But as life gets busy, it can become very easy to forget to check your online profile. Plus, you might find yourself struggling to focus when you’re on the go. Instead, it’s a good idea to schedule time for conversations and look through new profiles uninterrupted. Even setting a timer for twenty minutes a day or every couple of days is better than logging on whenever you remember.
- Be proactive with conversations. Remember that sugar dating is often more honest and straightforward than traditional dating. That means that potential partners will expect you to be engaged when chatting with them. If you take a passive approach, or try to play it cool as you might on a traditional dating platform, you’ll likely get passed over for someone more genuine and ambitious.
5: Yes, there are scammers, but don’t let that scare you off
When talking about what arrangement dating sites are really like, it’s important to acknowledge that scammers do exist. That’s because the sugar community, just like any online dating platform, is full of hopeful people looking to make connections. In fact, scammers may target sugaring platforms more because members are open-minded about sharing their wealth and resources.
But, don’t let the presence of scammers turn you away from finding your ideal match. The more time you spend chatting with potential partners and going on meet & greets, you’ll find that the scammers are quite obvious. It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with some common red flags that may suggest you’re talking with someone who isn’t genuine. And when you do come across a suspicious profile, always make sure to report it. That way, we can keep the online community safe.
Overall, scammers are a part of the reality of arrangement dating sites. But, you can learn to spot them quickly so that you don’t waste time on your search for your perfect sugar daddy or sugar baby!
6: Don’t get too caught up in the comparison game
One of the things that we hear from people who are new to online dating platforms is that it can be overwhelming. That’s because one of the things that dating sites do is flood us with more options than we could ever hope for. And while this can be exhilarating and hopeful, it can also be paralyzing. You might find yourself wondering if your current partner is really the best you can find, or if it would be better to keep searching.
In order to make the most of your time on an arrangement dating site, you’ll want to manage this line of thinking. Here are a few tips that can help you feel less overwhelmed by your wealth of options:
- Live in the moment. Learning to appreciate the time you spend with your current partner is a fantastic way to get over the overabundance of options on the dating site. Be actively curious about your partner, appreciate them for who they are, and enjoy yourself! If you can do that, you’ll spend less time worrying about whether you’re missing out on another opportunity.
- Consider dating more than one partner. Unless you have an explicit monogamy agreement with a partner, you are free to continue dating other sugar daddies or babies. This may help to minimize your feeling of missing out while allowing you to enjoy a few different personalities and types of sugar arrangements.
- Be realistic about whether you’re happy in your current arrangement. Maybe you’ve been dating a sugar partner for a while and are wondering if you want to keep your arrangement or find someone new. It can be a tough decision! In fact, we’ve dedicated an entire article to help you navigate that choice. With some self-reflection, you’ll be able to know whether you’re truly unhappy with your current partner or if you’re simply feeling overwhelmed by too many options.
There’s only one way to learn what arrangement dating sites are really like
If you’re trying to learn about what sugaring sites are truly like, the only way to find out is to spend time on them! Make your profile, start chatting with potential partners, and keep an open mind. Before you know it, you’ll have firsthand experience on what arrangement dating is all about!